As usual, I woke up this morning craving something sweet. Sunday mornings are MADE for baking. And, as usual, I didn’t exactly have all the ingredients for a lemon cake. So this is my lemon cake hack! It turned out perfectly, light and not too sweet!
- Duncan Hines Lemon Pound Cake Mix
- Small package of instant vanilla pudding
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- One lime, two lemons and one orange
- Lime and lemon juice plus enough water to make 1 cup
- Dash of pure lemon extract
Preheat oven to 325. Zest the citrus, juice the lime and lemons. Reserve approx. 1/4 of the zest and the orange for the glaze. Mix cake according to package directions. Bake at 325 until toothpick comes out clean and the cake is golden. Meanwhile, mix the glaze.
- Juice of one orange (I had a large one)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Reserved zest
Whisk together. It should be a glaze consistency. If too wet, add more sugar, if too dry, add more juice. Brush on hot cake.
Do you like citrus cakes? Let me know in the comments. Bon Appetit!